PLEASE DELIVER YOUR RESUME AND APPLICATION TO THE VILLAGE OFFICE LOCATED AT 125 W MAIN STREET, ELSIE MI 48831
Supervised by: Village Manager
Under the general supervision of the Village Manager, directs the operations of the clerk and treasury departments. Coordinates the collection and investment of taxes and the accounting of Village funds. Maintains all official Village records and ordinances and serves as Secretary to the Village Office, Police Department, Public Works, and Village Council.
Essential Duties and Job Functions:
An employee in this position may be called upon to do any or all of the following essential functions. These examples do not include all the duties which the employee may be expected to perform. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily.
- Serves as Secretary to the Village Council. Prepares agenda and packets, records meeting minutes according to established standards of detail, processes correspondence, publishes all legal notices as required by law; serves as official custodian for the safekeeping and management of all Village records and documents.
- Serves as the official custodian for the safekeeping and management of all Village records and documents and the Village seal. Certifies ordinances and resolutions and maintains minute books and codified publications of ordinances. Administers oaths of office, and issues permits and licenses.
- Assist the Village Manager with the accounting and financial reporting activities of the Village in a manner consistent with established municipal accounting principles and laws. Prepares financial statements and reports, including special reporting for TIFAs, CDBG funds, Act 51 funds, and others as required. Coordinates audits and provides informational support as requested.
- Oversees the collection and investment of all Village funds. Investigates and examine various investment options to achieve the objectives of the Village’s investment policy while maintaining proper cash flow.
- Calculates tax rolls, verifies tax bills, and prints and mails the tax bills. Collects and records tax payments and reconciles payments and delinquencies with the County. Works with County Treasurer and Township
- Manages utility accounts, processes regular billings, and provides customer service. Opens and closes accounts, posts payments or other account activities, enters meter readings, and generates bulk billings. Initiates shut-offs or the collections process according to established Michigan procedures; Receives receipts for village water, sewer, and refuse bills and other payments. Assists customers with inquiries and complaints and takes appropriate actions to resolve them. Explains bills and payment procedures.
- Assists with the preparation of the annual Village budget.
- Collects, processes, and records all payments to the Village. Balances the cash drawer, makes deposits, transfers funds, make payments on bond debts and completes related financial transactions.
- Maintains confidential personnel files in accordance with legal guidelines.
- Keeps abreast of new administrative techniques and current issues through continued education and professional growth. Attends conferences, workshops, and seminars as appropriate.
- Performs the duties of other Clerk/Treasury Department staff as necessary. Plans and coordinates special Village functions and events as requested.
- Acts as the admin assistant to Elsie Police Department, Elsie Fire Department, and Elsie Public Works.
- Performs other duties as assigned by department heads.
- Prepare and Post official notices in the local newspaper, social media pages, and village website
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Minimum Qualifications:
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, abilities, and minimum qualifications necessary to perform the essential functions of the position. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the job.
- A high school diploma with some college coursework in accounting or finance is preferred.
- Two or more years in a finance department, business office, or related setting and related legislation pertaining to records management and elections in a municipal government.
- Knowledge or obtain knowledge of official Village policies.
- Skill in compiling and evaluating complex financial data and preparing clear and accurate reports.
- Skill in maintaining complex record-keeping systems and performing other administrative functions.
- Skill in effectively communicating ideas and concepts orally and in writing, and in making presentations in public forums.
- Skill in recording and transcribing meeting minutes with a high degree of accuracy and detail.
- Skill in the use of office equipment and technology, including computers and related software such as BS&A, and the ability to master new technologies.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and work effectively under stress and within deadlines.
- Ability to plan, coordinate, assign, train, and supervise the work of subordinates engaged in a variety of activities.
- Ability to establish effective working relationships and use good judgment, initiative, and resourcefulness when dealing with the public, Village officials, members of Boards and Commissions, representatives from other units of government, other professionals in the field, and fellow employees.
- A valid State of Michigan Vehicle Operator’s License.
- Ability to attend meetings at times outside of normal business hours.
- Ability to attend/participate in monthly Village Council meetings.
- Ability to be Bonded as a Clerk/Treasurer
- Ability to have name on Village Bank accounts.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to communicate with others in person and on the telephone. The employee is frequently required to review and produce written and electronic documents.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move items of light or medium weight. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
The employee is frequently required to travel to other locations within and outside the Village and use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee is regularly required to stand and walk.
The employee is frequently required to attend meetings. While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in a business office setting. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
Job Type: Part-time 32 hrs. week average
Pay: Depending on qualifications/experience
- Paid time off
- Tuition/Conferences/Certification reimbursement
- 4-day work week
- Paid time off for Holidays
- Office setting
- Typically, Day shift is Monday – Thursday 9:00 am to 5:00 pm
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Work Location: 125 W Main St Elsie MI 48831
How to apply:
Cover letter, resume along with professional references can be dropped off to the Village of Elsie Office at 125 E Main St Elsie MI 48831
Mailed to: The Village of Elsie
Attn Village Manager Shane Grinnell
PO box 408
Elsie MI 48831
NO PHONE CALLS /Job posted until filled.